Race Recap: Rogue 10K

Running the Rogue 10K was not in my plans; my friend’s birthday celebration was scheduled for the night before, and I didn’t want to mess with my training schedule. The 10K sold out, and I was okay with it. I then realized I would have to run 14 miles alone {2 friends were running the 10K and Alicia is doing the Plan, so she can’t work out for long periods of time} and our Rogue location wasn’t supporting the run as the water coolers were being prepped for the 10K/30K.

Rogue then opened up the 10K again allowing more people to sign up, and our coach told us that if we raced it at 10K pace, we didn’t have to run 2 miles before and 2 miles after. So I sign up for my very first 10K, so long as we “raced” it because I couldn’t picture myself running those 4 miles aside from the race.

My goal for this race was to run it in 1:00:49 as my time trial said I should be able to do… but I really wanted to get a time under 1 hour. I felt confident in this race because we did the half marathon 2 weeks prior to this race, and I felt great for the first 9 miles, so I was excited to “only” run 6 miles.

Ever since I had a cold, things have been bothering my stomach, and a couple of days before the race were no different. Despite this, I still planned on having 2 alcoholic beverages on Saturday night. While I had my second drink, my stomach started hurting. I drank some lime juice at the bar, but I couldn’t drink any more water.

Sunday morning came, and Eddie woke us up at 5am… half hour before I was scheduled to wake up. We were wide awake, so the fiancé came with me to the race {he was just going to show up at the finish line at 8am}. One of our friends was not going to make it, so I met up with my 2 friends at the race.

Before the race

Before the race

C and I went to the start, and at 7:20am, the horn went off and we started walking towards the start line. Once we approached it, we started running. I wanted to run at a comfortable pace, and then once we were out of the pack, we could adjust our pace, just like we’d done at the 3M.

Once we were off, my legs felt a little weird, and I wondered if I should have worn my old shoes for this race. I looked down at my Garmin and saw that our pace was under 9 minutes, which was not a speed I could keep up for a long time, so I slowed down and did my first mile in 9:06. I knew I was still going too fast, and had to slow down further or I would burn out real quick; it was really disheartening to see so many people pass me, and to see my friend pull further ahead of me. The second  mile seemed to go on forever. When the water stop came up, I slowed down and got some water.  As I passed the water stop, I started to see people coming back.. the course was 3.1 miles out and then back. The course was supposed to be flat, or so I thought, and it didn’t feel like it. However, because I was going uphill so much, I was excited to go downhill on our way back.

At the turnaround

At the turnaround (Photo credit: AzulOx Photography)

I start going back, and it certainly didn’t feel like there were any down hills… the course felt pretty flat. I was excited about the wind hitting my face though, it was refreshing. However, the wind was making it harder for me to move forward…

The water stop was slowly approaching and I was deciding whether or not I should get water because my stomach was hurting again. I decided against the water and kept running. I saw that I was slowing down, and I was giving it my all, but I was still about 20 seconds too slow… people were passing me again, and I could barely see my friend anymore. It felt like I was never going to end. I looked down at my Garmin again, and I was at 49 minutes, and I still had more than a mile to go. I was so disappointed that I wasn’t going to get under 1 hour, but I pushed myself anyway…

This was one race where I had to tell myself out loud that I could do this, not to stop, because I just wanted to walk so badly. I needed water, and I was running out of energy. Regrets about not bringing a water bottle ran through my mind as I contemplated having my energy gel which is supposed to be followed with water. I decided to take little bits of it to help me out mentally. I immediately felt like I had more energy.  Next came up the final hill I had warned my friend about when we were running together. It was a killer, but my coach’s voice was going through my head telling us how to handle hills… we approached the high school and we still had about a half mile to go, and I passed some people as soon as I was over the hill.

The last stretch felt like the longest part. I really wanted to be done with the run, and more than before, I was telling myself that I could do this, that I shouldn’t stop. I rounded the last corner and saw the fiancé and Alicia cheering me on, and the fiancé was waving me in, so I started running as fast as I possibly could.

Mad dash to the finish line

Mad dash to the finish line

My legs felt like they were going to give out, but I was focused. I was disappointed when I saw the clock as I was approaching it and it was almost at 1:01, but I kept running and I heard my name being announced.

The first person I saw was my half marathon coach from last year who congratulated me and told me to take deep breaths when I was having trouble breathing. C met me, and she was like “breathe, get some water” and I started crying. The fiancé and Alicia met up with us, and I was just like “that was terrible!” It was the worst race I’d ever run. I left it all out there, but I didn’t meet my BHAG {Big, Hairy, and Audacious Goal}. I’ll admit, I was very disappointed, but I was so glad it was over!

After the race

After the race

Yesterday, I found out my official time was 1:00:21, which was still under my first target goal. However, I was still sad, but I talked it through with the fiancé, and there were many factors that may have affected the outcome. My upset stomach & GI problems, the alcohol I drank the night before, not having drank enough water nor eating well the week before the race, not getting enough sleep, and not having eaten anything prior to the race. I looked at my mile average pace


That 5th mile was the one that killed me, but I came to terms with it, and I’m actually very happy with it… I gave it my all and still came away with a very impressive time.

After core class today, C and I talked about our next race and how we’re going to tackle it. I’m looking forward to seeing what my body can do when I’ve properly prepped for a race and have had almost 6 months of training!


  1. Oh my poor Ceci! I can feel your pain! But you never gave up and that is the most important part of this race! Kudos to you. Very proud of you!!!

  2. Ah, chiquita!!! Se me salieron las lagrimas por tu esfuerzo enorme!!! I am so proud of you! YOU ARE SO BRAVE!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I love you so much!
    Aunt Ofes

Speak Your Mind


CommentLuv badge

%d bloggers like this: