This recipe is one of our favourites; it is adapted from the Cooking Light December 2012 issue. I prefer lettuce wraps, and my fiancé prefers corn tortillas. They taste great either way! When I went to the grocery store, they didn’t have serrano peppers, so I used about half a poblano pepper instead.
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup minced shallots
- ½ - ¾ cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 - 1.25 lbs ground lean turkey
- 2 Thai or serrano chiles, minced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp gluten-free reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- lime wedges
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, then coat with 2 tsp of the EVOO.
- Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes. Add red bell pepper and sauté for one minute. Finally, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Put shallot mixture aside.
- Coat the pan with the remaining EVOO and turkey and cook for about 5 minutes, until browned. Drain turkey, and place in pan. Add chiles and cook for 1 minute. Add shallot mixture.
- Stir in fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, and ground pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and add lime juice.
- Serve with a lime wedge
Let me know if you make this!